WildSideWest
Registration is no longer required to participate at WSW. It's preferred, but not mandatory, so feel free to chime in at your leisure!
WildSideWest
Registration is no longer required to participate at WSW. It's preferred, but not mandatory, so feel free to chime in at your leisure!
WildSideWest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WildSideWest

California's Transgender Forum (Registration is no longer required to participate at WSW. It's preferred, but not mandatory, so feel free to chime in!!!)

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

N.J. Trans Woman Sues Newark Cops for Harassment!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GinaMylano
Queen Bee
GinaMylano

N.J. Trans Woman Sues Newark Cops for Harassment! Empty
PostSubject: N.J. Trans Woman Sues Newark Cops for Harassment!   N.J. Trans Woman Sues Newark Cops for Harassment! EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:01 am

And these are supposed to be the people that we have to "entrust" with our safety; don't we pay taxes too??? WTF!!!!!!??????

N.J. Trans Woman Sues Cops for Harassment
By Michelle Garcia

A transgender woman is suing the Newark, N.J., Police Department, claiming false arrest and harassment.

Diana Taylor is the third person to file such a suit against the Newark police, which the American Civil Liberties Union said is enough to mandate reforms in the department.

Taylor said that officers in approached her while in a police cruiser. They taunted her about her hair and demanded she show them identification. She didn't have ID on her but said her legal name was Christopher Moore. One officer turned to the other and said, "You're right —I owe you $10. It is a man." They continued to taunt her, using transphobic and homophobic slurs.

She was eventually handcuffed and brought into the station, where the officers attempted to find grounds to justify arresting her, but her record was clean, according to the ACLU, which has taken on her case.

Upon her release, the officers threatened to confront her if she reported the abuse. However, she filed a complaint with internal affairs after weeks of attempts.

But after filing her complaint, she received a notice in the mail, citing her for littering and disorderly conduct. She successfully fought both charges in court.

"The police did more than arrest me that day — they took away my rights, my dignity and made me afraid to walk down the street," Taylor said in a statement. "I'm fighting for something that's easy to take for granted but impossible to live without — the freedom to be myself and to live my life in peace. I had always thought the police were here to protect me, and I don't want to feel like I need protection from them instead."

N.J. Trans Woman Sues Newark Cops for Harassment! Diana_taylorX390

http://advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/02/18/NJ_Trans_Woman_Sues_Cops_for_Harassment/
Back to top Go down
http://wildsidetg.com/

N.J. Trans Woman Sues Newark Cops for Harassment!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WildSideWest :: The WestSide Lounge :: The "T"-spot-
Jump to: